What's the morning routine?
- The bell will ring 5 minutes before the beginning of home form and fast music will mark one minute before the first period. Students must move quickly to class.
- The national anthem followed by a moment of silence mark the beginning of home form. Stand still and remain silent.
- Arrival after the anthem means students are late. The homeform teacher will mark them late. There will be no sign-ins for students in the home forms from Grade 10 to 12. Students in a Grade 9 home form must report to Room 210 when they are late to sign-in and receive an admit slip.
What are the rewards for good attendance and punctuality?
Excellent attendance is key to personal, academic, and professional success and satisfaction.
- increases the chance of earning the 30 credits required for graduation
- increases opportunities for participation in extra-curricular activities
- enhances opportunities for acquiring awards and prizes
- increases likelihood of being accepted to the college or university or job opportunity of your choice
- results in immeasurable satisfaction from having done a job well to the best of your ability
Certificates of recognition are rewarded to students who demonstrate excellent attendance and punctuality.
What happens if I am absent from school?
- A parent or guardian must call the school at 416-393-0060 the morning of any student absence.
Students returning from an absence must bring a note signed by a parent/guardian or doctor. The note should indicate the student's name, the reason for the absence, the date(s) of the absence. Students are required to have each of their teachers sign the note. The student then submits the note to the Attendance Office (Room 266) after school on the day of their return.
- Absence of 5 days or more requires a medical note.
- Absence from class without a legitimate reason is not acceptable; suspension is a possible consequence.
- For all grade 9 students there will be a telephone call home before noon.
- At the end of the day there will be a telehone call home for all other absences.
What if I have to leave the school during the day?
- Report to Room 266 before school or at lunch to present a parental note with the student's name, date, time, and reason for absence. The note will be copied and given to the student.
- Students keep the copied note and show it to their teachers as proof of signing out the previous day.
- Students who must sign out because of illness during the day must report to Room 266 and have home called; this is a safety precaution.
What if I have a non-assigned period?
- Students may work in the library, in the cafeteria or in a classroom; students may not be in the halls and stairwells during class time.