Here's what's happening at Garden and in our community
Friday, April 18
Good Friday - No classes
Monday, April 21
Easter Monday - No Classes
Wednesday, April 23, 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm at Fern Avenue School Gym
This is no garden variety talent show. wait a minute, yes it is! It's the Garden Public School Talent Show!!!! The event will be held in the gym at Fern Avenue Junior and Senior Public School - 128 Fern Avenue. Download the Talent Show poster (PDF. 238 KB)
Tuesday, April 29
Monday, May 5
Tuesday, May 13
Junior Kindergarten Parent Info Night
Monday, May 19
Victoria Day - No classes
Saturday May 24
Annual Spring Fun Fair
Save this date! Mark your calendar and bring the whole family to this wildly popular event.
Tuesday, June 3
Nathan Noel Memorial
Wednesday, June 11, 6:00 pm
Join us for the Spring season Garden Avenue Potluck. Everyone welcome! Bring a dish to share, including a list of ingredients (please, NO NUTS). Please bring your own plates and cutlery to help us work together as an "ECO" school.
Friday, June 6
PA Day - No classes
Thursday, June 12, 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm
School Advisory Council Meeting
Friday, June 13, 9:00 am
Friday, June 20
Grade 6 Graduation
Friday, June 27
Last Day of Classes
A list of past events is available
a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Students enter the school 5 minutes before instruction
begins. Kindergarten students are always dismissed at the same time
daily. Please note that we never dismiss students into the care of someone
other than the caregiver without written notification from the parent
or caregiver prior to pick-up.
1 – 6
||9:00 a.m. to 11:45
||11:45 a.m. to 12:44
||12:45 p.m. to 3:30
||3:30 p.m. to 3:45
Morning recess: 10:10
to 10:25 am
Afternoon recess: 2:05 to 2:20 pm
Grades 1, 2, 3
are the Primary grades; grades 4, 5, 6 are the Junior grades.
Teachers are on yard
duty at 8:45 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Prior to these times, supervision
is not provided. Unless arrangements
have been made previously with the teacher, students are to remain
in the schoolyard until regular bell and entrance times.
Students who leave for lunch should not return until teacher supervision is in place at at 12:30 p.m.
Our bell rings at 8:55
a.m. and 12:44 p.m. Students have 5 minutes to assemble and prepare
for class, at which time attendance
The safety of our students remains our top priority. Our staff regularly speaks with students about how to stay safe. I again want to emphasize to students, staff and parents the importance of awareness and the need for extra care in even the most ordinary and everyday routines. You may wish to review the following street proofing strategies with your child:
Tell your parents or teacher whenever someone treats you or speaks to you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe. Trust your instincts.
- Always walk with a buddy to and from school;
- Always tell your parents where you are;
- Never accept gifts from strangers;
- When help is needed, go to the nearest store or school, the home of a friend or run towards a group of people or a parent with children;
- Never approach or enter a stranger’s car; adults have no acceptable reason to offer a ride or to ask children for directions or assistance;
- If a car is following you, change directions and run;
- Say ‘NO’ if an adult wants you to do something you know is wrong;
- Know your name, address and phone number;
- Know that police officers are friends and can help you;
- Know that a person in the neighbourhood, who you see habitually, is still a stranger and should be treated as a stranger;