Jarvis Collegiate - School Council
Welcome to the (Parent) School
Council website for
Jarvis Collegiate Institute, Toronto, Ontario.
Meeting Minutes for
March 24, 2011
What is the role of a School Council?
The purpose of a School Council is to give parents and guardians the
ability to "influence decisions affecting their children's education in
- Parents or guardians form the majority of members on a school
- School councils have the right to make recommendations to their
principal or school board on any matter.
- School boards are required to consult with school councils on
matters that affect student learning; consider their recommendations;
and report back to them on how they plan to act on their advice.
- School boards must consult with school councils on a number of
specified matters, including the development and implementation of board
policies relating but not limited to:
- code of conduct and appropriate dress for students;
- process and criteria for the selection and placement of principals
- allocation of funding for school councils;
- fundraising policy;
- conflict resolution policies;
- reimbursement of expenses for school council members; and
- school board action plans for student improvement based on test
results from the Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO).