Are you a High School Student going into Grade 11 or 12?
The Specialist High Skills Major program might be for you!
This program is an unique opportunity, giving you reach-ahead opportunities to differentiate your education by combining training in the arts with business and experiential learning. Learn more about SHSM ›
What students are saying
“The Specialist High Skills Major finally gave me a career focus for my interests and skills. I graduated from Humber College with a full-time job at Soulpepper, a leading Canadian theatre company.”
“I started working in the constituency office of a member of Parliament immediately after high school and had to apply my knowledge from almost every course daily. Without question the most practical and useful of these classes was Arts Management.”
What Kinds of Experiences Will I Have?
Feed your spirit and fuel your life.
A critical component of SHSM is experiential education and on the job learning. Specialist High Skills Major students:
- Plan and facilitate conferences and events headlined by outstanding arts industry professionals
- Earn valuable industry related certifications, such as
- Intro to Project Management
- Key Elements of Branding
- Behind the Music Biz
- Elements of Set Design
- Portfolio Development
- and More.
- Learn from guest speakers such as Tim Ferguson, President of Audience Communications, a consulting firm focused on corporate communications and event planning
- Attend workshops and seminars, including
- The Business of Song Writing
- Introduction to Project Management
- Lighting Design
- Live Performance Videography
- Costume/Prop Creation
- Art Studio Safety
- Getting Your Message Across -
- and more.
- Produce the school musical
- Network, and gain valuable business experience through relevant and engaging Arts Internship (Co-op) experiences.
Here are some recent Arts Internships (Co-op) offered through SHSM:
- Coordinator: Toronto International Film Festival
- Production Assistant: Luminato (Arts Festival)
- Graphic Designer: Fish Out of Water
- Assistant Editor: Serendipity Video
- Carpenter/Decorator: Theatre Passe Muraille
- Assistant Teacher: Fairmount Public School (arts focus)
- Production Assistant: Urban Post (audio post-production for TV and movies)
- Dancer/Actor: TDSB Central Programs - productions
- Assistant Costume builder: Scotiabank Caribbean Festival (Caribbana)
- Portfolio development for working actors: Armstrong Studios
- Set creation and Production Management: Roseneath Theatre Company
- Administrative Assistant of Program Development: Scarborough Arts Council
- Youth Fringe Festival Reviewer for Nightwood Theatre
- Assistant Educational Programs Coordinator: Second City