Rose Avenue Public School is a downtown inner-city school
located in the centre of St.
James Town. The school celebrated its 100th anniversary in
1984. Our student population is drawn from the 22 apartment
towers which surround our school within a city block that
is reputed to be the most densely populated in Canada.
- The school serves a student population of over 900. More
than 74% of the students have English as their second language,
representing about 50 language groups. Half of the families
of this school came from other countries in recent years
- many from Sri Lanka, and an increasing number from Eastern
European, Asian and African countries.
- The school offers Junior Kindergarten to Grade 6 programs.
- Rose Avenue School has a large child care centre and a
parenting centre. It also shares its facilities with a community
centre run by the Toronto Parks and Recreation Department.
- The School team was recently trained in the TDSB's School
- Our School Plan supports the TDSB's mandate of providing
a strong literacy focus and
a safe and nurturing environment for our students.
- Our school Mission
Statement continues to foster our guiding principles
of REACHING OUT/ REACHING IN and LEARNING TOGETHER.
School Focus For This
In light of the diversity of our community of learners, Rose
Avenue Public School puts a strong emphasis on:
- language acquisition and development of literacy and numeracy
- programs focusing on responsibility, social skills, independence
- critical thinking, problem solving, life-long learning
and equitable practices
- integrated and meaningful curriculum expectations and
related field trips
- fostering collaborative grade team planning and professional
- providing a safe and nurturing learning environment
- expanding Safe School initiatives to meet community needs
- fostering collaborative parent and community partnerships
- expanding before and after school opportunities, including
computer, chess, homework, storytellers, leadership and
- offering a range of co-/ extra-curricular sports activities
and school teams including cross-country, running, basketball,
soccer, track and field and house leagues
Our Students (as
of spring 2002)
- Total number of students: 953
Junior Kindergarten -Grade 3 - 682
Grade 4 -Grade 6 - 271
Female - 479 (50%)
Male - 474 (50%)
- Primary language other than English: 699 (76%*)
- Students born outside of Canada:
Students living in Canada for 2 years
or less - 158 (17%)
Students living in Canada for 3 -5 years 121 (13%)
* Calculation does not include students for whom
language information is missing.
copyright © 2002-2003 Rose Avenue Public School. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the Webmaster.